Career and Professional Development Opportunities for Students
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development will offer a portfolio of opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to use the Winter Session as a time to reflect and move forward with their career and professional development. The Center's staff has used insight from the October student survey to create meaningful opportunities, such as virtual career treks to connect with employers and organizations, relationship building with mentors, workshops, virtual networking events, and weekly programming for students at all stages of the career development and job search process.
Weekly Programming Series in Mid-December and Mid-January
Career Development staff will be available everyday while the University's offices are open. Our office will be focusing on strategic programming throughout this time to help students make the most of their Winter Session experiences. The calendar below outlines the themed focus of offerings for each day of the week. The CCD will be offering a standardized schedule of career development programs every weekday afternoon for four weeks (December 7-11, December 14-18, January 11-15, and January 18-22).
One-on-One Career Counseling Appointments
One on one career counseling appointments will be available every day from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Appointments with Career Counselors and Consultants can be scheduled through Handshake.
Monday - DISCERN
Learn about yourself, explore your values, interests, personality, and skills, and align your skills and interests through discernment workshops! Receive resources you can utilize to explore majors, industries, and discover career paths. These workshops are ideal for students who are uncertain about their major, or know their major and are beginning the exploration of industries/career paths.
- Discern Your Career Path | Learn how to engage in the career development process - exploring your values, interests, personality, and skills.
- Intro to the Center for Career Development | The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development offers a variety of resources to help Notre Dame students as they prepare for a fulfilling career. Learn about the department and our services that can assist you as you start your career journey!
- What Can I Do With My Major? | Let's address the most common question: “What can I do with my major?” Spoiler alert - the answer is anything! Focus on identifying transferable skills and discuss how skills can align with career paths.
Tuesday - DISCOVER
Pursue workshops combine the prior work accomplished through the discern and discover processes. Take action through a variety of opportunities beginning with creating professional documents such as your resume and cover letter and have them reviewed by a career counselor. Then, secure professional experiences and advance your career journey.
- Career Path 101 | Explore a career path whether you've just begun thinking about it or you are ready to take a deeper dive. Learn some key resources for finding opportunities,exploring organizations, what the work is really like, and hear from students who've interned or alumni who are building their professional skills in that career path.
- Finding a Summer Internship | Looking for an opportunity back home next summer? Trying to figure out what your options for a summer experience might be? Attend this session to learn about tools to find posted opportunities, network for opportunities, and creating your own opportunity!
- Building a Network | Building a network can help you explore careers and industries, make connections, and expand your knowledge about opportunities.
Wednesday - PURSUE
Explore a variety of career paths and opportunities through learning about available tools and resources. Connect with students who were recently in your position and hear about their own career discernment experiences. Develop connections with alumni and employers through attending events targeted to explore organizations and opportunities within industries.
- Interview Preparation | Virtual interviews were starting to become more prevelant. Learn the tips and tricks for success in one-way (HireVue) and two-way (Zoom) virtual interviews.
- Effective Resumes and Cover Letters | Resumes and cover letters are often the first impression a potential employer has of you. Learn the important principles of writing effective and impressive professional documents.
- Job Search Strategy | This workshop will focus on the job/internship search during these uncertain economic times. We will learn how to use a variety of job/internship databases, such as CareerShift, Going Global, etc.
- Internship Show and Tell | Notre Dame students who have recently interned with employers that other students are interested in, will share back their insights from a student perspective. Speakers will be able to serve as a resource for other students and to create “institutional knowledge” for Notre Dame students regarding internships at various organizations. Attendees in turn will learn who has interned at organizations they are interested in pursuing: timelines, checklists, interview prep, internship expectations, etc.
Thursday - SHOWCASE
Take your learning to the next level and participate in a variety of programs offered by alumni and employers. Showcase events include:
- Panel discussions
- 1 on 1 virtual meetings in office hours with employers
- Employer information sessions
Friday - MOCK INTERVIEWS
Every Friday during our four-week programming series, we will be inviting alumni, recruiters, and students to help students practice interviewing skills through mock interviews. We will be offering the following types of mock interviews
More information will be made available in late November.
In addition to the workshops and special programs, Career Development staff will also be offering 30-minute afternoon consultations or check-in sessions Monday through Thursday on the following topics:
- Resumes and Cover Letters | Learn how to craft your cover letters and resumes to get noticed by employers.
- Interviewing Preparation | Understand the framework to a succesful interview, and how to prepare and execute effectively. We will review and practice typical interview questions, and how to approach behavioral interviews.
- Job Search Consultation | Take a deep dive into your personal career development and job search strategies.
- Elevator Pitch | Work one on one with a career counselor or consultant to develop a professional introduction, also known as your elevator pitch.
- LinkedIn and Handshake Profiles | Build your Digital Presence - Complement Your Resume and Applications.
Along with the four weeks of specialized content, the CCD will also provide a number of self-directed opportunities.
- How to Make the Most of Your Winter Session (use our self-guided checklist to track your participation in events)
- Advice and Guidance on Finding a Great Mentor (more information coming November 2)
- Tips for Lining Up a Job-Shadowing Experience (more information coming November 2)
- Short-Term Projects (more information coming November 2 about January projects offered by alumni and employers, as well as how to find short-term internships)
Career Development Partner Opportunities
Partners of the Center for Career Development are also offering meaningful professional development opportunities during this time.
- The IDEA Center
- Notre Dame International
- Notre Dame Institute for Global Investing
More information will be published to this page as information becomes available.