Free Professional Headshots On-Demand
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development (CCD) is pleased to offer free digital headshots for the Notre Dame community. This self-serve resource provides professional-quality headshots in less than 5 minutes.
In an effort to advance our strategic priority to eliminate barriers for students to engage in career development, this service was implemented by the CCD to benefit all Notre Dame undergraduate and graduate students. We welcome anyone (including faculty, staff, alumni, and employers) to use this free service.
The headshot photo booth is conveniently located in the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development reception area on the north end of the 5th floor of Duncan Student Center, around the corner from the north elevators.
We placed the booth to provide students convenient access. The booth is available anytime the 5th floor is open. During the academic year (while classes are in session), the 5th floor is typically open:
- Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Fridays, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sundays, 1:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Use of this service is first-come, first-serve. A headshot session typically takes no more than 3-4 minutes.
- Visit the north reception desk area on the 5th floor anytime the CCD is open.
- Have a seat in the stool. You are welcome to adjust the height with the side lever on the stool, but please do not move the stool's position on the floor, as it has been positioned for optimal lighting.
- Tap the screen to start and the booth will light up. The navigation screen is touch-sensitive; however, you can also manipulate controls from your phone by scanning the QR code.
- You will be prompted to type in your email address. You are welcome to use your @nd.edu or any other email address.
- The screen will display a series of tips to help you take the best picture possible.
- You will then see two flashing icons offering you to select a 3-second or 6-second timer. Most students have found 3 seconds to be sufficient.
- While the timer counts down, look up at the camera hole (above the screen). Do not look at the screen.
- Your picture will be taken and you will instantly see a preview.
- Follow the same process and take 2 more pictures (again, you will be prompted with a 3-second or 6-second timer).
- After your last picture, you are welcome to select one picture to re-take. This is optional.
- Touch the "exit" button on the screen.
- After completing your session, you will see a progress bar at the bottom of the screen that shows your picture being uploaded to the Iris website.
- That's it! Please leave the booth so other students can get their picture taken. If nobody is waiting in line, you are welcome to edit your photo or start the process over again. If others are waiting in line, please be courteous and let others get their pictures taken. You can edit your photos on your computer.
- There is no need to wait around the booth. You will receive an email within 2-3 minutes after completing your session.
- Click on the "Get Photos" button in your email and you will be directed to a website to activate an Iris account.
- Use the same email address that you were at the booth and create a password. Important: Iris does not integrate with Notre Dame's single sign-on. While you are welcome to use your NetID@nd.edu email, do not use your NetID password. Come up with a random password that you have not used for any other account.
- Upon creating your password, you will be directed to log into the Iris Booth website.
- Type in your email and password to view and download your headshots. The website will also also provide you an option to edit and retouch your photos before downloading.
One of the great features Iris offers is the ability to easily edit your photos. Due to the quality of the camera used, the lighting, and the neutral backdrop, most sessions do not require editing. Options for editing include:
- Cropping / re-centering
- Teeth whitening
- Blemish correction
- Lighting correction
- Filters (tip: most students use the "Prime" filter to give the most professional look)
Please know the editing features are only available on a laptop or tablet (not your phone).
Your photo will be saved on the Iris Booth website for 365 days in case you need to revisit your Iris account to retrieve or edit your photos. You are welcome to keep your photos on the server for future reference or delete your photos at anytime; however, once you delete them, they cannot be retrieved.
The Iris technology makes taking a great headshot a piece of cake. If you can use Instagram, you can take a professional headshot! Here are some tips:
- Business casual or business professional dress is recommended if you are using your headshot for LinkedIn or Handshake.
- Consider removing your eyeglasses to avoid any unwanted glare.
- Solid colors are best and mid-range to darker shades of clothing are recommended.
- The background is a light gray color. Avoid wearing a white or light gray top (by itself) since since it may blend into the background. A white shirt is fine if you are wearing a jacket, blazer, sweater, etc.
- Repositioning your head and shoulders can make a big difference. Try a few different poses, like:
- Sit up straight (no slouching!).
- Turn your knees and shoulders 30-45 degrees.
- Dip your shoulder (closest to the camera) and tilt your chin down.
- Cross your arms at your chest or place your hands on your knees or lap.
- Take at least one picture with your teeth showing and one with your mouth closed while smiling (don't worry about the color of your teeth - the Iris editing tool provides a convenient teeth whitening correction you can use!).
- Project confidence and let your personality show!
If you don't like your headshots, that's OK! You are welcome to come back anytime for another round of free headshots.
The photo booth is provided by the CCD as a courtesy to the Notre Dame community. This is not a party-style photo booth. Please be respectful, and know that CCD staff have administrative access to all photos, and we review them periodically to ensure appropriate use. Inappropriate use will be addressed.
The photo booth was created by a veteran studio photographer to deliver clean, crisp images in a new, reimagined way. Iris Booth has partnered with a number of career centers across the country to help college students build their professional online profiles to advance their careers.
You are welcome to contact the CCD staff about this service by sending us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.