Regional Engagement Manager in Washington, DC
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development is excited to announce expansion of our regional engagement model to our nation's capital in Washington, DC. This role plays a critical role in deepening relationships with alumni, parents, and friends of Notre Dame in the the Washington, DC area to advance placement of Notre Dame students into top tier internships and full-time positions. This position will serve all industries, including government, non-governmental organizations, research, consulting, defense, and more. The manager will serve both undergraduate and graduate students. As an part of Notre Dame's centralized Career Development team, the manager will interface with faculty and staff across all academic colleges. A particular focus will be to serve students enrolled in the University's growing Keough School of Global Affairs.
Note: This is a full-time exempt administrator position based in Washington, DC.
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development (“Center”) prepares students for lifelong career readiness through innovative and tailored programs, services, and strategic partnerships. Strategic partnerships extend beyond Notre Dame’s campus through the cultivation of relationships with employers and alumni to advance student placement into meaningful internships and full-time positions. To advance our mission, the Center launched on-site employer engagement by embedding a staff member in California as a pilot in 2016. This initiative has produced successful results with both the cultivation of a broad network of recruiting partners, as well as an increase in placement of both internships and full-time positions. Based on the success in California, the Center will be expanding its regional model to the east coast.
Washington, DC is one of the top destinations for Notre Dame graduates, a strategic location for students enrolled in the Keough School of Global Affairs, and a region with a diverse offering of internships for students at all levels across all academic colleges. The Regional Engagement Manager (“Manager”) is responsible for leading the Center’s on-site recruiting and networking efforts in the DC area. This includes engaging and developing relationships with employers across all industries, including government, non-governmental organizations, research, consulting, defense, technology, and more. The Manager will be charged with identifying and advancing internships and career opportunities for Notre Dame students across all majors and class levels. The Manager clearly articulates the vision of Notre Dame’s presence in the District of Columbia and Notre Dame’s top position and status in higher education today. The Manager also identifies and connects employer contacts to other Notre Dame opportunities related to the initiative and campus priorities when such opportunities present themselves. The Manager oversees all phases of relationship development, including maintaining and advancing relationships with existing employers, as well as developing new relationships and opportunities. The Manager also works directly with students, increasing student awareness and preparation for internships and full-time positions in Washington, DC.
The Manager will be highly integrated into the current structure of the University’s overall employer engagement program to support both undergraduate and graduate students. The role will also provide employer relations support for existing Mendoza Graduate Business and Law School programs in the DC area. The Manager is responsible for travel throughout the DC area, as well as at least four (4) visits throughout the year to Notre Dame’s Main Campus in South Bend.
The Manager reports to the Regional Engagement Program Director, a staff member based in California who leads a team of regionally-based professionals. The Manager’s responsibilities include:
- EMPLOYER ENGAGEMENT: Create and leverage an infrastructure that enables networking and employer development in the region with the goal of accelerating the number of undergraduate students and graduate students in summer internship experiences and full-time positions. Engage with established employers, as well as with high-growth startup organizations. Pursue career opportunities utilizing the strong Notre Dame alumni and parent network to identify prospective employers. Coordinate with the Center’s Employer Engagement Team to maintain exceptional employer relations with existing recruiters, while also developing new relationships across industry lines.
- ALUMNI CLUB CONNECTIVITY AND COLLABORATION: Connect with Notre Dame Club leadership and alumni in the greater DC region on a regular basis to build relationships with alumni opening avenues to new employer recruitment. Support and attend club-sponsored career development-related events (e.g. meetings, networking receptions, etc.).
- STUDENT ENGAGEMENT: Develop and advance a community for students interested in internship and job opportunities in the DC area through the utilization of electronic resources, presentations, and meetings. Create and deliver workshops and presentations to Notre Dame students on the following topics: internship opportunities, full-time opportunities, emerging career fields and industries, insight for preparing students for competitive application processes with DC-based organizations, and regional information. Facilitate student engagement with alumni, parents, and industry leaders in mentoring relationships.
- DATA SHARING AND DOCUMENTATION: Ensure engagement and placement data is collected through stated procedures. Collaborate with the Employer Engagement Team to ensure career opportunities are posted through Handshake (job posting system). Create and share electronic resume books for approved recruiters and employers. Present information to constituencies.
- COMMUNICATION AND MEETINGS: Attend tele-remote staff meetings and training sessions with other Center staff. Engage in meetings with various partners (Center staff, faculty, deans, etc.) when returning to Main Campus.
- OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED: Perform other duties as assigned by the Center’s leadership to ensure the success of the Center, the University, students, and other stakeholders. Represent the Center across campus and in professional associations/community organizations.
Note: This is a limited term position through June 2022.
- Experience with employment recruiting, sales, or other relationship-driven work
- Knowledge of the Washington, DC area (culture, employment outlook, etc.)
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Understanding and embracement of Notre Dame’s mission
- Demonstrated proficiency in building relationships
- Ability to think organizationally, conceptually, and strategically
- Ability to manage projects and relationships simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Serve as a team player with a positive attitude across four departments with distinct responsibilities
- Experience with creation and establishment of new programs
- Experience with university internship and entry-level recruiting
- Experience with relationship cultivation across multiple industries
- Experience working with government-related organizations
- Established network of recruiting contacts across a wide range of industries
- Established network of Notre Dame alumni and parent contacts
About the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development
- Notre Dame's Meruelo Family Center for Career Development is located on the fifth floor of Duncan Student Center on the University of Notre Dame's campus.
- All staff work collaboratively to advance the Center's mission & vision:
- Mission: The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development prepares students for lifelong career readiness through innovative and tailored programs, services, and strategic partnerships.
- Vision: Empowering students to discern, discover, and pursue meaningful careers to be a force for good in the world.
- The Center is comprised of 30 staff members across 5 teams: Undergraduate Career Services, Graduate Career Services, Operations and Communications, Employer Engagement, and the Regional Engagement Team.
- This manager reports to Kaci Kelly, Regional Program Director. The Regional Engagement Team, currently based in California and now expanding to other regions (including Houston, Texas), is a growing team of professionals which will expand to strategic industry markets in the coming years. The team cultivates relationships with recruiters, industry professionals, and alumni to advance placement of Notre Dame students into top tier internships and full-time positions.
- To receive consideration for an interview, please submit an application online on Notre Dame's centralized jobs.nd.edu website at: https://jobs.nd.edu/postings/18498
- Application deadline is Friday, January 17, 2020. Applications will be reviewed immediately.
- A cover letter and resume are required.
Referrals for candidates can be directed to our search committee by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions can be directed to the search committee by e-mailing email@example.com.