Career Development Industry Education Specialists
In the coming years the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development will be expanding its student-facing staff with the addition of industry professionals who are interested in advancing Notre Dame student preparation for professional careers.
While we are not currently hiring specialists, please read below to learn more about these unqiue positions.
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development prepares students for lifelong career readiness through innovative and tailored programs, services, and strategic partnerships. The Center includes a staff of 30+ professionals who support undergraduate and graduate student career development through a variety of methods, including industry education programs and career counseling.
In addition to staff based on Notre Dame’s main campus in South Bend, the Center also employs a number of Career Development Industry Education Specialists (“Specialists”). Specialists are professionals with industry experience who serve as consultants, supporting student career development by providing industry insight and advice for students pursuing internships and full-time positions to better prepare them for successful careers.
The University of Notre Dame is currently seeking Specialists to support student career interest in the following industries:
- Arts and Culture Administration (museums/auction houses/galleries)
- Human Resources
- Industrial Design
Specialists can serve one or more industries.
The position includes three key functions:
- Coordinating and executing virtual industry education programs (via live and recorded webinars) to students on topics such as: industry insight, internship and job search strategies, networking insight, etc.
- Facilitating networking between students and alumni within particular industries.
- Meeting with students one-on-one (in person, via phone, or virtually via Zoom technology).
Student interactions include the following expectations:
- Establish a rapport with students
- Seek to understand where a student is in the career development process
- Advise students on the industry’s recruiting process (particular to industries)
- Provide feedback on cover letters, resumes, portfolios, and professional documents
- Provide interview preparation and conduct mock interviews
- Educate students on effective networking and relationship building strategies
- Refer students to industry professionals and Career Development staff for further support
- Document all student interactions in accordance with established procedures
- Programs and appointments based on a schedule conducive to the Specialist’s availability.
Note: This is a part-time, on-call position not eligible for the University’s benefits package.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Work experience experience related to industries specified above
- Knowledge of employers within the specified industries
- Knowledge of recruiting processes for internships and entry-level positions
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Understanding and embracement of Notre Dame’s mission
- Demonstrated proficiency in building relationships
- Serve as a team player with a positive attitude to support the Center’s overall efforts
- Career counseling experience
- Direct and recent experience with the employment recruiting process, particularly for internships and entry-level roles
- Established network of industry contacts
- Leadership in a particular industry (serving on professional association committees, conference planning, etc.)
- Experience with Handshake recruiting platform
Note: Industry Specialists can be located in South Bend or remotely in another city. Specialists serve in an on-call capacity with a weekly time commitment ranging 0-10 hours per week.
About the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development
- Notre Dame's Meruelo Family Center for Career Development is located on the fifth floor of Duncan Student Center on the University of Notre Dame's campus.
- All staff work collaboratively to advance the Center's mission & vision:
- Mission: The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development prepares students for lifelong career readiness through innovative and tailored programs, services, and strategic partnerships.
- Vision: Empowering students to discern, discover, and pursue meaningful careers to be a force for good in the world.
- The Center is comprised of 30 staff members across 4 teams: Undergraduate Career Services, Graduate Career Services, Operations and Communications, and Employer and Regional Engagement.
- The Regional Engagement Team, currently based in California and now expanding to other regions (including Houston, Texas), is a growing team of professionals which will expand to strategic industry markets in the coming years. The team cultivates relationships with recruiters, industry professionals, and alumni to advance placement of Notre Dame students into top tier internships and full-time positions.
Referrals and Questions
Referrals for candidates and questions can be directed to Ryan Willerton, Associate Vice President for Career and Professional Development.